Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Craft Room... OK, So it’s More of a Crazy Craft Attic

Now I won’t pretend that I have ALL the answers when it comes to thriftiness, but I am pretty good at finding deals.  On the one hand, a part of me wants my craft room to be organized to a fault, always looking like the magazines with fancy, expensive Martha Stewart Craft furniture (it’s a thing, I have seen it). But that ain’t real life is it?  The minute I start a new project it looks like a tornado went through the place and all that matters is a) being able to find what I need and b) not worrying about spilling glue/paint/glitter/etc. all over the furniture I have up there.  I also would rather spend my money on craft supplies and not fancy furniture that is likely to get burned by my cheap hot gloue gun and bedazzled with cheap acrylic paint spills.

So, let’s get down to business.  When we bought this house, I saw the awful purple nightmare of an attic and thought “GIRL CAVE!!”  a.k.a. “Craft room!” a.k.a. “OMG Craft Attic”. It’s about 15 feet wide, and 30 feet long.  Here is a pic (cameo by Mr. Crafty Diva Wannabe):

35551_436473729858_541034858_5739610_3203364_n 35551_436473734858_541034858_5739611_8169408_n

Eventually it’s gonna get painted, but life gets in the way and even nasty purple walls and glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling can’t stop this woman from her crafts! Moving right along, it looks like this now:

WP_004004

Much better right? And you know what? Cost FAR less than you think to get that way (not counting the craft supplies themselves.)  Some of it is new, some of it was just creative re-use.

The huge table in the middle is a workshop table we salvaged from the basement ($0) on top of 2 Ikea adjustable saw horses ($40). The White table/chairs on the right is a Pottery Barn bistro set we brought from the previous place that we had got on Craigslist 4 years ago for $100. We were going to get rid of it, but it’s a cute place to craft so I decided to keep it (I’m calling that $0).  Every bit of cabinetry and shelving in the room was left in various rooms of the house when we bought it so we just brought it all upstairs($0). I nabbed a couple of nice wooden folding chairs at a thrift store ($12). I then picked up 4 more folding tables and a 2 more chairs at Home Depot ($90).  The blue rug was there, the flowered rug came from CraigsList 7 years ago and moved from our previous place too ($0).  So for under $150 in NEW furniture, I have room to hold 8-9 crafty women.  5 if people need to spread out a bit and do something big like scrapbooking.  

Of course, I don’t even want to think about how much I’ve spend on craft supplies, or all the stuff to organize those supplies, but I did some cool, cheap things there too.  But that’s another post. Hope you enjoyed this one! And if you live nearby and wanna craft sometime, I have plenty of space, LOL.

1 comment:

  1. Ho-ly CRAP. I had no idea. NO IDEA. That's it. I'm coming over. After the 31st, of course.

    ReplyDelete