Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spray Paint is my Friend

When I was little, I remember my mom having a LOT of spray paint. Any time she wanted to refresh a room, make something old new and shiny, she’d whip out her spray paint and *poof!  We didn’t have a lot of money to be buying new furniture every few years, but it was amazing what she could do with a fresh coat of paint and some new rugs.  I remember doing that with an old bedside stand. I must have spray painted it 7 or 8 times.  I had forgotten about that. I was reminded recently while reading this great DIY mercury glass pumpkin tutorial by someone I met briefly at BlogHer 2011 this summer.  It made me remember how much I loved making something old, new again with a $4 can of paint. 

It occurred to me that I have LOTS of stuff in the garage and basement that is cute, but was from my “everything white and sunflowers days” and doesn’t fit the darker new house, or it’s prairie style.  Then I went “DUH!” and smacked myself in the forehead, I can fix that with SPRAY PAINT! It can be any color I want.

Maybe using spray paint on old stuff rather than paying out the nose for fancy new stuff is pedestrian, but it’s me.  Yes, I have a job, I work for Microsoft, and I get paid very well for what I do.  But it’s the principal of it.  Why throw things away, why WASTE all the money I make?  It’s also fun to turn something meh into something awesome! If it’s something you think is lame, or cheap, or too pedestrian then my blog isn’t for you so I’m warning you right now… 

Anyway, I’m not ready to share any of my big projects yet, nothing feels quite polished enough to post yet. But here is a quick DIY makeover you might find surprisingly fun.  Now I’m new to this who DIY blogging thing so bear with me… I didn’t always remember to take before pictures, boo. It’ll get better as I learn. So here is some “before” images of OK things that definitely needed a Halloween makeover.

Cute wire basket I got at a fabulous little 2nd hand store (if you live near me please visit them, the place is awesome!) for about $7. Cream colored, good shape, not really a good color for me but it had *potential*.

WP_004029

Cream colored pumpkin from Michael’s Arts & Crafts.  Normally these go for about $13, but with a 50% off sale, and a 20% off friends & family coupon, I scored it for about $5.50.  I grabbed a few in black, and some smaller ones ($4 after coupon) too while I had the great discount going on.  As is, they look fake and kinda cheesy.  If it’s gonna look fake let’s have it look COOL and fake!

WP_004032

Lastly I had a simple, clear vase that came with some lovely flowers from a good friend.  Probably wouldn’t use it again as-is, but hmm, maybe in a Halloween display in another color? No picture, but you’ll recognize it as familiar when you see it.

I removed tags, didn’t bother cleaning anything too well because “HELLO, HALLOWEEN”, and grabbed some spray paints that I nabbed on sale at Home Depot for about $4.25 each.  I picked up black and orange, but also found the hammered pewter and shiny metallic black pretty interesting.  They both looked even better than I had hoped. The hammered pewter has a liquid quality to it that’s very cool!

WP_004026

Aaaaaand :: drum roll:: Voila!  A few more items to incorporate into my Halloween displays in far more appealing colors. 

WP_004041

Stay tuned to see how I was inspired by a Pottery Barn store display to create a fabulous little dining room table scene for a fraction of the cost, using the items above.

1 comment:

  1. I think I even have some of that hammered metal one on the garage. I may steal this idea.

    ReplyDelete